Monday, September 19, 2011

interesting 9/11 thought

This came from a dear missionary in my ward who is currently serving in the Philippines. His point certainly applies to more than just 9/11 but it was what caused him to reflect:

I have never found any peace or comfort in memories of 9-11. It has always brought feelings of anger, sadness, disappointment, and any other imaginable variation of these emotions. It is easy to classify such disgusting acts as evil and unforgivable. But such thoughts are drinking poison to our own souls and hoping that our enemies die from it. The Lord commanded:

"Wherefore, I say unto you, ye ought to forgive one another... I the Lord will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men." - DC 64:9-10.

As I have begun to attempt to let go all things of which I have no power to change, it has empowered me and relieved this angry burden. And if you will open your Doctrine and Covenants and check the date on which this revelation was received, you will see that it was given on September 11, 1831 - exactly 170 years before this tragedy would take place. And if you still believe in coincidences, you don't understand the Gospel of Christ.

The Lord has commanded us to have charity for all men. The pure love of Christ. This commandment was given for our benefit and blessing as much as it was for others. In the military version of "Principles of the Gospel" the first Presidency said: "If you must go to war, go in the spirit of truth and righteousness. Go with love in your heart for all God's children, including those on the opposing side." And I know if this is how we allow ourselves to think, we will be able to live more fully in this world, without feeling the evil effects of the world.

We tend to have differing thoughts than most of the world on how and why 9/11 came to occur. But the principle of forgiveness remains constant, regarding of the source of the tragedy. If I believe my own government had a hand in facilitating that day, I have to forgive them as well as those that celebrated our suffering around the world. I think about those leaders and decision makers and think: what happened to that person as a child, as an adorable baby that I would have cuddled and cooed over, to turn them into someone capable of calculating such atrocities? How have they been hurt and manipulated so their heart turned so cold and dark? I have no choice but to feel sorrow for them and I feel so grateful that I can let go of my hard feelings and let the Lord decide whom He will forgive.

But to carry that principle to a more personal level, if the Savior is asking us to forgive for the cruel, unexpected murders on 9/11, what and who is He asking me to forgive in my own life?
If He gave that commandment in D&C 64 as a foreshadowing for 9/11, what does that process symbolize (as Sarah likes to look for)? If that event was a macrocosm for the smaller hurts and tragedies in our own lives, are we not commanded to extend the same forgiveness to our brothers and sisters and trust to our God to fix all things?

No comments:

Post a Comment