Friday, May 20, 2011

Book Musings- Return from Tomorrow

I've decided I need to write a little bit about the books I read so there is some record that I have actually read a book. I also know that I will retain more and learn more if I write some of my thoughts down. I shall call these little writings "Book Musings" because I could never rightly call them a "Book Report." Even the word musings might be too generous for what I'll be able to write. Anyway, read them if you want...don't if you don't.

Return from Tomorrow by George G. Ritchie

I ate this book whole. Loved it. I am particularly glad that I had read "Life in the World Unseen" first because I could see many similarities and parallels. There is no part of this book that I didn't like...and frankly, I can't think of any parts that I took issue with.

I don't remember all the things in "Life in the World Unseen" but I do remember learning about the people who were in hell and how sick and warped they were. Ritchie describes this as well. When I had read it in "Life in the World Unseen" I had wondered how those unhappy souls were interacting with us. I now think that they might not be the ones that we are so often bothered by. Ritchie describes the souls who have earthly addictions and appetites and how they live amongst us desperately trying to satisfy those habits and desires through us. Obviously, a whole hoard of things in our world could keep such souls near us. But what I found very interesting was Ritchie's description of the level of light that is here. He talks about souls who are seekers of truth but they have forgotten to seek the Source of truth. These souls are good and actively engaged in good work...but they missed the mark. I believe that it is this level that Monsignor Benson was in when he communicated to Anthony Borgia. Ritchie was taken to see (from a very far distance) the Celestial Kingdom (he doesn't call it that). This Kingdom is not present here like the one described by Benson. I found this interesting because it is clear that Benson has some pretty serious holes in his knowledge. He is still tied to this earlth, albeit in a better state than others who are tied here.

I loved the part when Ritchie becomes aware that everyone, even the darkest of souls, had a being of light hovering over them. He reasoned that each of those beings could have been Christ, since Christ was with him. But he acknowledged that they could have just been angels. I love that he couldn't tell. It made me thing of the mantel of missionaries. When we are set apart as missionaries, we are told that we are representatives of Christ. We used to tell people we met that we were "personal representatives of Jesus Christ." I believe these angels are present and that those in a guardian capacity have likely been set apart and given the directive to stand as a personal representative of Jesus Christ to those they are protecting and serving. So, in essence, the Lord does stand over each of us through His servants.

I loved the description of Christ laughing. I may never ever find a painting of Christ that does the less-serious side of Him any justice. But at least this passage has given me a sense of that gentle sense of humor He might have. Thank goodness. I simply can't believe the Savior lives in a state of doom and gloom and heartache. As we know, there is opposition in all things. I'm glad the Savior laughs.

At first I was disappointed that his experience had ended with so many pages left to read. I wanted there to be so much more. But as I read, I became grateful that he took the time to account what happened after. Of greatest significance to me was the reality that he still had to undergo his conversion. Just like the visitation of an angel is not enough, a near death experience is not enough. We must allow the Holy Ghost to change us. Anything other than that will not be a sufficient testimony. Knowing this, makes me a little bit less envious of those who get to have these experiences.

What I got from this book, aside from yet another testimony that the Gospel is true, is the boiled down principle that charity is everything. Our relationships and the love we have for our fellow man and God's creations are what matters. I feel like a fog has been lifted. Cobwebs have been swept aside. I am nothing without this love. Nothing I do has any significance to me unless I am in the pursuit of charity. How can we waste our lives worrying about Brangelina, our dress size, how much everyone else is making, Obama's birth certificate, etc etc etc?! Who cares? Who cares about those things when we realize that the power to love as Christ loves is within our reach if we just have the faith to ask and receive?

And yet...we still have to keep living. There are bills to pay, handing off children to X's every other weekend, freedoms to maintain, health to pursue, etc. What I see is that these very things exist not to distract us from our goal but they exist to give us a place to practice charity. We are not successful in any of these areas unless the primary/real goal has been met, which is to act with charity. They are not tests, they are opportunities to BECOME as Elder Oaks urges us to do.

Having read "Return from Tomorrow" has seriously affected the state of my heart, my desires and my prayers. The image of a being of light hovering over everyone has been echoing in my head. Whenever I am struggling to feel charity for someone, I picture that personage behind their shoulder and all of a sudden I see a person who is worthy of Christ's love, care, attention, atonement and His very life. How can I NOT love such a person and stand in awe of their worth? Imagine my surpise to stand in front of the mirror this morning and apply this image to my own reflection.

Now that is what a good book can do for a person.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of thoughts rang in my head as I read your poignant words, dear Sarah, but I'll just share two. One is that CS Lewis would echo your sentiment; that we would be tempted to bow and worship our fellow men if only we could see who they truly are. Also, what an amazing contrast for you - you used to look in the mirror and picture dark, frightening things looking back at you. Now, you look in the mirror and see your beautiful self and your being of light hovering near you! Talk about conversion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put together a comment for this last week and my dang phone didn't post it. Oh well, I get to rethink it.

    I really want to read the book so that I can fell more prepared for a discussion. I love the concept of Jesus laughing. It is actually a big deal to me. The pictures that I have purchased for my home are specific to the idea that Jesus is happy. Sure he worries and deals with a lot of garbage but I know He is happy. If our purpose is to have joy and to be like the Savior, I was assume that He has joy!

    I agree that the things that challenge our ability to show charity are exactly what teach us about charity. I love the awareness of angels around each of us. I can ask for help to understand the person who tries me so and ask their angel to help them. Maybe there is some language among the angels that can help us understand what our language seems to cloud.

    Sarah-and everyone-, remember that host of angels who are there supporting and loving you. With that much light, how could you not shine!

    ReplyDelete