Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Meditation for Mormons

http://www.sunstonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/141-20-31.pdf

Here is a link to an interesting article about meditation. I feel like it is a good starting point. He touches on the basics and explains why we should take the time to do it. He states that his development of Christlike attributes was vastly improved as the result of his meditation. Perhaps he attributes this development too much to his meditation (there is a lot to be said about the purpose of mortality, experience and relationships in relation to the development of such attributes). However, I am intrigued by the studies among monks that showed their neural activity was off the charts and that the areas of their brains where maternal love, empathy, joy, happiness, etc are centered were anatomically enlarged due to their meditation and lifestyle. (see Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain- I just got it from the library today because I clearly don't have enough to read) So, I do believe there is real value to taking the time to meditate and I am seriously interested in learning how to do it without falling asleep or thinking of 10 million other things. I'm now just waiting to be led to the instruction I need to actually do it.

P.S. This is an article from Sunstone Magazine. So, like all things we read, I felt it was important to read it with care.

P.S.S I contacted the man who did the Meditation for Mormons workshop last year to see if another one was in the works. He informed me that he no longer does them specifically for Mormons because the Church doesn't want its members to be solicited/targeted. He still holds workshops but no longer uses Mormon language. I'd still love to find a way to learn from Catherine Thomas. I don't suppose she does private seminars? Who wants to volunteer their sleuth skills and powers of persuastion to find her and bring her to us?

No comments:

Post a Comment